MIG - Missouri Investigators Group

St. Clair - 2000

January 5, 2000 - St. Clair County

This UFO incident involved multiple witnesses, which mainly consisted of police officers from a number of small Illinois towns. The officers were able to track the unknown object and maintain radio contact with each other during the event. Adding to this, Scott Air Force Base was only two miles away from the flight path of the UFO. This episode became the focus of intense media coverage, which continued weeks after the actual event.

The first person to notice anything unusual that early morning was Mr. Melvern Noll. Mr. Noll is the owner of a miniature golf course located in Highland, IL, which is approximately 24 miles from St. Louis, MO. During the off-season, Mr. Noll is a truck driver making deliveries at all hours of the day and night. Mr. Noll was returning from a delivery run he had just completed at approximately 4 a.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 5. Before returning home, he thought he would check his miniature golf course and make sure everything was in order. He parked his truck in the back of the building and began to exit the vehicle. While doing so, he noticed a "bright star" over in the northeast sky. He didn't give it much thought at the time and proceeded to enter the building.


After checking things inside, he locked the building and was returning to his truck. Again, he noticed the "bright star" in the northeast sky. This time, he stopped and observed it more closely. He noticed the light was, in fact, moving in his general direction. In just a few minutes, Mr. Noll noticed the bright white light was only part of a larger object. It appeared to be rectangular in shape. The apparent size of the object was comparable to the size of a football field. Mr. Noll added that the object was also very tall. This object had a series of "windows"

that ran down the side. He also noticed two "floors" each having two "windows." These were described as rectangular with an intense white light radiating out from them. The "windows" appeared to be located more toward the rear of the object. When the object was very close, Mr. Noll stated he could see a large number of dim red lights on the bottom. He assumed the exterior color must have been black or dark gray (illus. at right). The description he used to initially describe the object was looking like a "two-story house" in the sky.

During this time, Mr. Noll did not notice any sound, odor, or emission coming from the object. As it moved away to the southwest, Mr. Noll noticed "windows" on the back of the object. He added that these appeared to have a series of lines or bars in them that ran up and down. The object appeared to move in a northeast to southwest direction. The speed was determined to be slow when compared to conventional aircraft. Mr. Noll did state that he recalls the object slowing down as it passed in close proximity to him before regaining speed as it moved away. Mr. Noll estimated the object was possibly a half-mile distant when it moved closest to his location. The altitude was estimated to be approximately 500 feet. The duration of this sighting was estimated to be around 5 minutes in length.

 Mr. Noll promptly drove his pickup truck to the Highland Police Station. He thought that nobody would believe him, if he told his story. He hoped that the Highland Police could contact a neighboring town's police officer that could verify there was something strange in the sky. The dispatcher at the Highland Police Department listened to Mr. Noll's account and determined that he was a rational individual, despite his unusual claim. She then contacted the Lebanon Police Department. Officer Ed Barton responded to the call around 4:10 - 4:15 a.m.

Officer Barton was initially skeptical upon hearing the transmission. He asked the dispatchers if they were joking. They stated they were not joking. He then proceeded to the north end of town, past Horner Park, on Widicus Road. He did not see anything in the sky at this time. He then followed Widicus Road, as it turns from the North to the East, heading towards Illinois Route 4.

About halfway to Route 4, Officer Barton observed two large, brilliant white lights in the northeastern sky. The lights appeared so close together that Officer Barton thought they were almost touching each other. He stated the lights were so brilliant in intensity that the light rays radiated outward like the symbol of the Japanese Rising Sun battle flag from World War II.

He became curious and decided to drive a little faster. Upon arriving at Illinois Route 4, Officer Barton turned south, heading back towards Lebanon. He was able to observe the lights to his left through his driver's side window as he was proceeding into town.

At some point, as he was alternating between watching the lights and the road in front of him, the two bright lights now appeared to be one bright light. At this point, he switched on his overhead lights. He now believed this could possibly be an aircraft having problems. Upon arriving in town, he made a left turn onto East Route 50. He proceeded east to a bridge at the bottom of the hill. At this point, while he was still driving, he noticed the one bright light now appeared as an elongated cigar-shaped object. The object appeared to be stationary in the sky over the northeast end of the neighboring town of Summerfield. He proceeded along until he stopped his vehicle on the side of the road. He did this because he now noticed the object appeared to be heading in his direction. He stated it was not moving very fast but not very slow either. Upon stopping the vehicle, he turned off all the lights and his squad car's radio in an attempt to hear any noise possibly coming from the object. No noise was evident.

As it approached, he noticed the distinct shape of the object. It appeared as a massive, elongated, narrow triangle. It appeared larger in length than width. The apparent size of the object was conservatively estimated to be approximately 75ft in length and 40ft in width. At each corner, Officer Barton observed a massive, bright,


white light. These lights did not waver in intensity and appeared to be pointing straight down. He stated they did not light up the ground, but were very bright. In addition to these, there was one smaller flashing red light. This was situated closer to the two rear white lights, yet in the midline of the object (image at right). He noticed that the object was blotting out the stars above it, as it passed by him. He still could not discern any noise emanating from the object.

At this time, the object appeared to be closest to Officer Barton. He estimated the object was no more than 100 feet distant and approximately 1000 feet above the ground. Then he observed the object rotating in the sky from a southerly heading to that of a southwesterly direction. As it rotated, the object did not bank as is expected of conventional aircraft. Rather, the object pivoted in mid-air without tilting to one side or the other and remained completely level.

At this point, Officer Barton radioed Central Command to tell them what he was observing as well as its current location. In between transmissions, he stopped for a moment as he observed the craft make a dramatic increase in speed. The object was moving at a relatively slow pace at the beginning of his transmission. However, it then accelerated so fast that he could barely track the movement with his eyes. Officer Barton said the speed was remarkable. He was able to observe the rear of the object before this display of velocity.

His best analogy is in comparing it to the Millenium Falcon spacecraft from the motion picture Star Wars. It appeared to be rectangular and illuminated by white light. Through the middle of the light, running lengthwise, was a band of multi-colored illumination. He stated that there were not individual colored lights that you could discern. Rather, it appeared as a band of various colors, which blended into each other. He continued the transmission by informing Central Command that the object should now be around the town of Shiloh that is situated approximately 8 miles to the Southwest.

Officer David Martin of the Shiloh Police Department radioed that he could indeed see something in the sky. Officer Martin was driving on the southern end of Shiloh heading east when he observed the mysterious object. The object appeared to be heading in a westerly direction.

Officer Martin was able to observe three brilliant white lights, which were shining light downward from the object. However, the light did not illuminate the ground or objects on the ground. In addition, small red and green lights were

observed on the back end of the object. At this time, Officer Martin thought the object's altitude was approximately 1000 feet. He estimated the distance from his car to the object was about a quarter of a mile. He thought the object resembled the shape of an extra wide triangle or arrowhead.  He estimated the apparent size to be 75-100 yards wide (image at right). Officer Martin was driving slowly during his observations. He also rolled down his driver's side window to determine if the object was emitting any sound. No sound could be heard. He finally decided to pull over to the side of the road and exit the vehicle for a better observation. At this point, the object increased in speed and disappeared in a westerly direction.

Officer Martin estimated the object's initial speed to be the equivalent of 15 mph. When it increased in speed, he figured it to be at least 80-100 mph. He states that there was a marked difference in the flight speed.

In the nearby town of Millstadt, IL, Officer Craig Stevens was on patrol and heard the radio traffic regarding this whole affair. His curiosity was aroused and he drove to the east end of Millstadt in an attempt to see this mysterious thing in the sky.

After not seeing anything at that location, he proceeded to Liederkranz Park on the north end of town. While sitting in his car, he observed a very large object that was roughly triangular in shape. Officer Stevens estimated the object to be only 500-1000 feet in altitude. The flight speed was described as extremely slow. He also stated there was no noise with the exception of a "low decibel buzzing sound" that he could barely discern.

As he watched the object, it began moving to the north. He could see the object had a white light on the left side, right side, and center of the back end. In addition, there was a single red light on the bottom. The back end also appeared to be slightly recessed (image at right). At 4:28 a.m., Officer Stevens contacted his dispatcher to advise him that he could now see the object.


Then he exited his vehicle and grabbed the Polaroid camera from his squad car's trunk. He aimed the camera at the object and took a picture. Unfortunately, the extreme cold temperatures of that morning (15-20 degrees Fahrenheit) caused the camera to work poorly. However, he was able to produce one photo, though poor in quality before the object disappeared to the northwest (photo above).

The last police officer to report seeing the object that morning was from Dupo, IL. I interviewed him personally, but I do not have permission to use his name. This officer also heard the radio traffic that evening and decided to take a look in the sky for himself. Approximately five minutes after Officer Stevens' radio transmission from Millstadt, the Dupo officer observed an array of lights. Contrary to the other officers, this individual stated the object was at a relatively high altitude and proceeding in a north-northeasterly heading. It was so high in the sky that the officer said he wouldn't have noticed it, if it wasn't for all the radio traffic. He stated it stayed to the east of Dupo. The altitude was described as being higher than that of a small plane but lower than that of a commercial aircraft. The officer viewed the object through binoculars, but was only able to see a conglomeration of lights. There were white and red lights visible. The white lights were at the extreme ends. The red lights were in the middle. Aside from the lights, he could not discern any size or shape due to the distance and altitude.

These witnesses provide us with enough data to project the flight path of the object as it traveled over the Southern Illinois area (see map below). It apparently came from the northeast and traveled slowly to the southwest over Highland then south to Summerfield. It then turned and moved towards the northwest and quickly made a flat turn and accelerated to the southwest. It traveled approximately 1 mile north of Scott Air Force Base and slowed as it passed over Shiloh. It then continued to the southwest over the town of Millstadt. From there, it turned to the northwest. Shortly thereafter, it veered to the northeast and apparently gained altitude before leaving the area.